Sunday, September 20, 2009

sports day
















On Saturday the girls tried two sports for the first time. They had their first soccer practice and could not wait to go. I took this picture of them in the van as we were getting ready to back out of the garage just to document their excitement. They are on a church league team with their best friend Emmy and eight other little girls. They have been counting down the days to play...Ava has been wanting to play soccer for over a year and they finally got their chance on Saturday. They loved it and did such a great job running and kicking the ball. The only disappointment they felt was when they saw their team shirts which were navy blue! They were hoping for pink or purple for sure. I can't wait to watch them play over the next few weeks and see if this is something they are going to want to continue with as they get older. After soccer we went to the golf course where Jay used to work when we were first married. He loves to play golf and has been wanting to take the girls for a while and teach them how to hit the ball. It was an interesting time for sure. Ava was a natural....I was honestly in shock at how good she was. It was her first time ever hitting a golf ball and she did way better than I could have done. Claire on the other hand was just like me...not very good. It was the first time I have ever seen her so frustrated at something. She could see that Ava was really good and that she was having a hard time even coming in contact with the ball. When in comes to drawing, dancing, soccer they are always on the same level. We had several big talks this weekend about what it means to practice a sport and that you have to keep trying in order to learn. I also told her that different people are good at different things. There will be a time when she is better at something than Ava. It was so hard for me and Jay to watch her be so upset because Ava was better....it is a glimpse into our future for sure. Any parent that has more than one child is going to have that competition and rivalry at some point. I did not now know it would start at 4 1/2, but now we can start praying for wisdom in how to handle it. If Claire does not want to back to the golf course right now Ava can always go with Jay and I can teach Claire the proper way to go shopping!!! Sounds good to me

3 comments:

Heather said...

tell sweet claire that there are grown ups that can't hit the ball either (like me:). where do they play soccer?

Abbie said...

That's a great idea. Good shopping technique is important, too.

I love their pink soccer balls!

cara said...

yay for being soccer players! so cute!!